(taken from a reference Bible)
1. Demand respect as teachers – v2
2. Teach, but do not practice – v3
3. Demand service; not give it – v4
4. Seek praise of men – v5
5. Parade their religion – v5
7. Seek chief places in church – v6
8. Glory in personal attention – v7
9. Glory in titles – v7
10. Rob men of truth and life – v13
11. Reject truth and life – v13
12. Take advantage of widows – v14
13. Exhibit l-o-n-g prayers – v14
14. Are zealous to win men to their sect, but not to God – v15
15. Root and ground converts in hypocrisy, not in God – v15
16. Profess to be the only guide in religion, but are blind to truth and practical Christianity – v16-22
17. Propagate those parts of religion from which they receive the most personal gain and honor – v16-22
19. Glory in bodily cleanliness, but live in moral filth – v25-26
20. Exhibit outward religion and self-righteousness and ignore inward holiness in life and conduct – v2, 7-28
21. Pretend to be more righteous than their forefathers – v29-33
Anyone who reads Matthew 23 can see that Jesus Christ is the polar opposite of religionists who bind men with heavy burdens and over emphasize the externals while neglecting to get their internal (heart) right with God.
One sister noted:
“I know many “modestly” dressed plain dowdy looking women who are EVIL at heart and are full of adultery, fornication, and the Jezebel spirit.”
Amen! Amen! The Bible tells us that “The LORD looketh on the HEART” and that all sins come from the unsanctified hearts of men. God memorize and study 1 Sam. 16:7 and Mark 7:20-23. Oh, and what did Jesus say of the religious posers of His day and how they cleaned the OUTSIDE of the cup but left the INSIDE filthy (Matt. 23). Some seek to impose their own measures on others, ever notice that? God always starts HIS work from the inside – out.
“Rend your HEART and not your garments (outward)!” Joel 2:13
According to Jesus, both past and modern pharisees always over emphasize the outward. We ourselves must beware of such.
Sign up for free email devotional HERE… The Moments with My Master email devotional is sent out 2-3 times weekly for the edification of the body of Christ.